There is nothing that can overpower a gorgeous smile since it helps enhance your overall personality and boosts your confidence. Healthy teeth play a crucial role in imparting a radiant smile. But, there could be obstacles that may hamper the beauty of your smile. Thankfully, this can be overcome by advanced, non-invasive cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening.
Teeth whitening procedures in the form of at-home trays, offered by the highly-acclaimed dentist in Leesburg, VA and their team are affordable, effective, and most of all, convenient.
Understanding how teeth whitening works
Teeth whitening is a safe, painless, non-invasive cosmetic dental procedure. It is a simple and effective way of transforming your smile by lightening the color of your natural teeth.
Teeth whitening systems consist of an active ingredient known as hydrogen peroxide that breaks down into smaller oxygen bubbles that are responsible for eliminating stubborn stains from the tooth surface.
Causes of tooth discoloration
Tooth discoloration refers to the staining or darkening of your teeth.
Several things can cause tooth discoloration, such as:
- Poor oral hygiene that leads to plaque accumulation
- Smoking and other tobacco use
- Dark-colored foods and beverages
- Excessive fluoride
- Inherited condition due to genetic fault
- Old age can expose the underlying dentin that has a yellowish hue
- Dental trauma
- Some dental treatments like root canal therapy and amalgam restorations
- Some health conditions like liver disease or eating disorders
- Certain medications like tetracyclines, anti-histamines, and hypertensive drugs
At-home teeth whitening system
At-home teeth whitening systems involve the following steps:
- Your dentist will evaluate your teeth stains and their severity.
- A full mouth impression will be recorded and sent to the laboratory to fabricate the trays.
- The fabricated trays should be placed inside your mouth to check for the fit.
- You are advised to wear the trays twice a day for 30 minutes each.
- If the stains on your teeth are stubborn, you are likely to be recommended to use the trays overnight.
Maintaining the results of at-home teeth whitening procedure
It is essential you follow the below-given instructions to prolong the results of teeth whitening:
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly
- Avoid smoking
- Minimize caffeine and carbonated drinks
- Reduce your intake of teeth-staining foods like red sauce, red wine, or berries
- Visit your dentist at least once every 6 months for professional cleaning
Tooth discoloration can be distressing since it is aesthetically unappealing. This can lead to low self-esteem and poor quality of life. An at-home teeth whitening system is an excellent, cost-effective, and convenient procedure to revitalize your smile and regain your lost confidence.